In a way, this recipe is the companion to the Pineapple-Tarragon Chicken Salad recipe because for the last few months I’ve taken to boiling a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts and using half of the chicken in the chicken salad and the other half (and all of the broth) for this soup. If I make boil the chicken early in the week, we are able to stretch out the salad and soup for several meals.
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can green beans, drained and rinsed
- half box of rotini noodles*
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and pulled
- salt, pepper and basil to taste
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot.
- Add chopped carrots and celery. Cook on medium-high heat until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add green beans and peas (and any other desired vegetables). Cook on medium heat until vegetable mixture softens.
- Add broth. Bring to boil, stirring regularly.
- Add tomato sauce and water. Bring back to boil, stirring well.
- Add noodles. Stir regularly and bring back to boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low.
- Let soup cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add pulled chicken. Bring to boil.
- Add spices.
- Once boiling, turn heat to low. Let soup simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off burner and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Use more or less water or broth for desired thickness.
- Substitute fresh or frozen vegetables for canned vegetables. Or substitute leftover cooked vegetables.
- * Works well with gluten-free noodles for those with dietary restrictions.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to carefully read the labels for all ingredients, including condiments and spices. For example, some brands of ingredients (especially sauces, salsas, etc.) may contain gluten and/or soy and/or fish/shellfish and/or carrogeenan (a seaweed-derived food additive difficult for some people to tolerate).
cover photo courtesy of Pexels.com