Christmas always makes me think about my grandmother’s delicious pound cake. I have good memories of helping her cook or sitting on the green pleather barstool in her kitchen, watching her prepare food.
Her pound cake was famous in our family and it has turned out yummy every time I have made it. Enjoy this recipe with your family this Christmas!
- 2 sticks of butter or margarine (room temperature)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 5 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup of Mayola corn oil
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract (you can also use almond extract or a half teaspoon of each)
- Set the oven rack one above the lowest setting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl use a mixer to cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add portions of oil and milk, alternating with flour mixture and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix together well.
- Add lemon extract, and mix on low setting for 30 seconds.
- Prepare the bundt pan by greasing and adding a layer of flour.
- Pour mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
» Side notes from Grandma:
- This cake freezes well.
- For variety you may add one small can of Angel Flake Coconut.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to carefully read the labels for all ingredients, including condiments and spices. For example, some brands of ingredients (especially sauces, salsas, etc.) may contain gluten and/or soy and/or fish/shellfish and/or carrogeenan (a seaweed-derived food additive difficult for some people to tolerate).