dairy-free * egg-free * gluten-free * soy-free
At at time when our kitchen motto is “Eh, I can eat it,” this recipe garnered a “Hey!
I like this! It’s actually good!” And it is. Especially if you like meatloaf. Which we do.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs defrosted uncooked ground beef (round, chuck, etc.)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick oats*
- The following ingredients will be used twice, in the same proportions.
- 1/3 cup ketchup*
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 tablespoon horseradish or dijon mustard*
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion powder (or minced onion)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg** (see note below for egg-free option)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray the top pan of a broiler pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom pan with foil. (A loaf pan, cookie sheet, or glass casserole dish will also work, but I like using a broiler pan so the grease can drain a bit.)
- In small bowl, combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices (the 7 ingredients grouped together above).
- In large bowl, lightly beat egg.
- Then add all other ingredients to the large bowl and mix using hands or a spatula.
- Shape into loaf and place on the top broiler pan.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- In small bowl, again combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices (the 7 ingredients grouped together above).
- Remove meatloaf from oven after 40 minutes.
- Spoon ketchup mixture over the meatloaf, coating top and sides.
- Bake for 15 more minutes or until done.
* Some brands of oats, mustard, ketchup, and/or Worcestershire sauce may contain gluten or other allergens.
** Egg-free option: In small bowl or cup, whisk 1/3 cup applesauce with 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Let set for at least a minute before adding into mixture.
- Can add diced green peppers and/or onions to meatloaf if desired.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to carefully read the labels for all ingredients, including condiments and spices. For example, some brands of ingredients (especially sauces, salsas, etc.) may contain gluten and/or soy and/or fish/shellfish and/or carrogeenan (a seaweed-derived food additive difficult for some people to tolerate).