egg-free * gluten-free * nut-free
In my recipe file, this card is labeled “Potato Casserole I Like”–but it’s not just me. This casserole is a real crowd-pleaser. Cheesy goodness, crispy hashbrowns, maybe some bits of bacon–what’s not to like?
- 1 32-oz bag frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 1 stick butter, melted (for adding into cheese mixture)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt*
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crushed corn Chex**
- 1/4 stick butter, melted (for drizzling over the top of casserole before baking)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place thawed potatoes in 13×9-inch greased baking dish.
- Mix together next 5 ingredients then pour/spread over potatoes.
- Top with crushed cereal.
- Drizzle butter over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until casserole has browned pretty evenly and is bubbling around the sides of the pan.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to cool and set before serving.
** Could substitute 1 can of cream of mushroom soup for the yogurt. If doing so, the casserole will cook much more quickly, so keep an eye on it!
** Could substitute cornflakes or goldfish crackers or dry bagged stuffing or crushed potato chips for topping, depending on your tastes and food allergies.
- This recipe is a good one to make up the night before serving. Just make up the casserole and refrigerate until time to bake. However, do NOT pour the melted butter for the drizzle until just before the casserole is ready to go into the oven.
- Add bacon crumbles to topping for extra flavor.
- Can add spices (I like a dash of paprika and onion powder) when mixing together ingredients to suit your personal taste.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to carefully read the labels for all ingredients, including condiments and spices. For example, some brands of ingredients (especially sauces, salsas, etc.) may contain gluten and/or soy and/or fish/shellfish and/or carrogeenan (a seaweed-derived food additive difficult for some people to tolerate).