egg-free * gluten-free * nut-free
This cobbler may the easiest thing in the world to make but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the tastiest and most requested desserts you may ever serve.
Quick enough to prepare on a moment’s notice yet hearty enough to hold its own on the sideboard of holiday side dishes, this recipe may just make you the hostess with the mostest.
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 cans of fried apples, drained*
- 1/2 box of yellow cake mix**
- for gluten-free option: Use 1/2 box of gluten-free yellow cake mix.
- Preheat over to 375°.
- Pour apples into bottom of pie pan or baking dish.
- Pour the cake mix over the apples.
- Pour/drizzle butter over the cake mix.
- Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until cobbler has browned pretty evenly and the apples are bubbling around the sides of the pan.
* Could substitute apple pie filling or even fresh apples. Or use a combination of canned, fresh, and filling apples.
** Most cake mix comes in a 16-ounce box. For the smaller 9-ounce boxes of Jiffy cake mix (NOT cornbread mix), use 1 entire box.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Double the recipe to bring a dessert for a big gathering or pot luck:
- 4 cans of apples.
- 1 whole box of cake mix.
- 1 stick of butter (no need to double the butter!).
- Use 9×13 rectangular glass baking dish.
- Substitute a different fruit, like peaches or blueberries, which can also be used canned, fresh, or filling form.
- Can add spices, like cinnamon or nutmeg, before baking to suit your personal taste.
- If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to carefully read the labels for all ingredients, including condiments and spices. For example, some brands of ingredients (especially sauces, salsas, etc.) may contain gluten and/or soy and/or fish/shellfish and/or carrogeenan (a seaweed-derived food additive difficult for some people to tolerate).