I have found in my own experiences that college is a unique season for believers. With this new and exciting freedom, we are faced with a choice.
Will I use my time in college to crown Christ as King of my life?
Will I seek out opportunities to serve Him during this special span of 4 years?
Or will I crucify Him now and plan to turn from my rebellion when I start a family or get settled in a career?
I will be completely transparent when I say there is an overwhelming pressure to conform to the college norm.
I grew up in a home structured by sound Biblical teaching. I became a Christian at a young age and although I went through ups and downs, I did not have a truly rebellious stage–I always say it was because I was scared to death of my mother (HAHA).
I never anticipated that I would be so tempted by the sins of the world upon arriving at this destination called “college.” It is a daily struggle to stay on the straight and narrow path on which we as Christians are called to walk. It seems that at every turn, there is a new temptation that wasn’t present when we were under mom and dad’s roof.
I say this to urge you to pray for the college student(s) in your life. Whether you are a parent, friend, or member of a church with a college ministry, I encourage you to go to God on our behalf during your prayer time.
I offer the following prayer targets and scripture references:
- Pray that the college students in your life will remain God-focused despite the rebellion that surrounds them.
Romans 12:2 • Hebrews 12:2-3 • 2 Peter 1:3-8
- Pray that the college students in your life will seek out a Bible-based community in which they can be involved in both study and ministry as well as form relationships with those that are like-minded.
Proverbs 27:17 • 1 Corinthians 15:33
Ephesians 4:12 • Hebrews 10:25
- Pray that the college student in your life will be confident in the Lord’s timing and perfect will.
Proverbs 3:5-7 • Proverbs 3:26 • Matthew 6:10
- Pray that the college student in your life will continually seek God’s wisdom and gain discernment.
Proverbs 1:7 • Ecclesiastes 7:11-12 • James 1:5
- Pray that the college student in your life will commit themselves to spending time in prayer and God’s word daily.
Psalm 27:8 • Philippians 4:6
- Pray that the college student in your life will be bold in his/her faith.
Ephesians 3:12 • Hebrews 13:6
Let us join together in prayer for those in this wonderful yet often overwhelming season of life.
Haley Katherine Yow is a current student at Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. She is an English major with a 6-9 teaching license who plans to return to her hometown, Sanford, NC, upon graduation.
Haley enjoys incorporating her love of writing and teaching with God’s word to share with her readers that our day-to-day scripts do not always align with God’s perfect timing and will for our lives.
To read more from Haley, visit her blog, imperfectly planned.